Millions of people avoid the dentist out of fear. This anxiety may stem from a childhood experience, a painful procedure as an adult or even hearing exaggerated horror stories from others. In the past, anxiety and fear prevented too many people from getting the dental care they need. Luckily, today patients can receive necessary treatments in comfort thanks to sedation dentistry.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry relies on three different forms of sedation to relieve patient apprehensions and anxiety. Patients may receive inhalation sedation, commonly known as “laughing gas,” that is breathed in to diminish pain. Some patients may be prescribed anti-anxiety medications before their appointment to relieve anxiety before they even arrive at the dentist’s office.
Patients with extreme anxiety or who are undergoing a serious procedure may rely on intravenous (IV) sedation. This technique promotes a state of deep relaxation throughout the procedure, but the patient remains awake and able to interact with the dentist.
Is Sedation Dentistry Right for Me?
Dental Sedation can be useful if:
- You want a pleasant, relaxed feeling throughout your procedure.
- You feel that sedation would help you undergo a procedure that you otherwise would not be able to tolerate.
- You feel anxious before even arriving at the dentist.
- You have a procedure-specific fear, such as a fear of extractions or needles, that is not relieved by other pain-management or psychological techniques.
- You have had panic attacks in the dentist’s office before.
- Your fear has prevented you from getting the treatment you need to maintain good oral health.
- Your experience at the dentist with Dr. Farhan Qureshi and Dr. Irene Shin can now be relaxing and peaceful with sedation dentistry.